Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Passion of the Christ

So, we finally watched this, and wanted to jot down some thoughts.

I was immediately turned off by the devil in the garden/serpent scene, and all of the demon/Satan appearances, really.

I wasn't bothered by the portrayal of the Sanhedrin.

Jesus could have been more Jewish, though.

The humorous scene with the table made me groan a bit.

Afterward, Jason asked me what I thought. Mostly, the whole time I was watching, I was thinking about how it would be to watch one of my own children be ridiculed, tortured, and killed in such a way, and be able to do nothing to stop it. You want to shield them from pain, dress their wounds, wrap them in cozy blankets and kiss their tears away... The scene where she's kissing his toes was pretty sad.

All in all, I thought it was okay and would have been better without some of the cheesy additions to the story.

What did you think, if you saw it?

5 comments:

Ashley said...

When I saw it, I think I was a freshman in college and it had just come out. I was really interested in religion at the time, so the film really struck me in some interesting ways. Now, however, knowing all this stuff about Mel Gibson and his racist, sexist, anti-Semitic attitudes, it really puts a bad taste in my mouth about the film. It makes me see it as more of a "recruitment" tool than a Christian film. But, to me, being Christian is more about the love-thy-neighbor thing than about the Jews-killed-Jesus and man-is-the-head-of-the-household thing. But that probably doesn't surprise you. ;)

Hilary said...

I know... I was trying to approach it in an unbiased way... Mel Gibson needs some serious help... Whatever the agenda was, though, it's not as though Mel Gibson invented the whole part about the Pharisees demanding crucifixion. That isn't a surprise to anyone who has read about it, I don't think. We wouldn't deny that Nazis killed millions of Jews to spare the feelings of Germans. Are all Germans Nazis? Are all Jews members of the Sanhedrin two thousand years ago? I think that's a pretty big leap (but I understand lots of other people don't feel that it is--my point is maybe they shouldn't). I think we CAN assume that any dramatic portrayal of the Bible is a way to "share the good news" (or recruit) which I hear is slightly important to some Christians. ;)

Ashley said...

Haha, touche! You're right; from what I remember, the film was accurate. I just feel now, looking back on it with the knowledge I have about Mel Gibson at this time, it seems more biased in a way. Maybe I should watch it again before I go spouting out opinions! ;)

Conni Jo said...

I just stumbled upon your blog by clicking the "next blog" button after reading some other random blogs. I was instantly hooked and couldn't stop reading. After getting close to the beginning of 2009, I decided to stop because I felt like a stalker:) You seem like such an interesting person and wonderful wife and mother. I look forward to reading from here on out.

Dr. Kenneth R. Sepeti Esq. said...

Well, they'll never take our freedom.