Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy New Year!

I got my Christmas wish, and my grandma is out of the hospital and back on the computer where she belongs! Hi grandma!

I was going to do a "Year in review", but since it's the end of the first decade of the second millennium I thought I'd do the decade in review...

2000...
I broke out of relationship jail.
I cried at my mom's wedding.
My brother graduated from MIAD and we all stayed at the Knickerbacker in Milwaukee.
I was homeless for a month and a half or so... (aka stayed with friends)
I moved into Virginia Village where I paid $425/mo. for a one bedroom apartment with fake wood paneling and an odor, but it was MINE! And it was glorious.
I quit my job at Plexus.

2001...
I got my first computer, a hand-me-down from my mom which was a hand-me-down from my grandma.
I got a job as a "copy girl" at an accounting firm.
I got a job as a cake decorator.
I got a job as a barista.
I broke up with my boyfriend and moved in with Sarah, Jamison and their baby, Chloe.
I turned 21 and drank a LOT.
I started dating this guy, Jason, and we drank a lot together.
I quit decorating cake.
I babysat Chloe.
I went to school.
I QUIT SMOKING!
I fell in love.
I went camping for the first time in Washington state and British Columbia.

2002...
I got married to that Jason guy. :)
Eventually I even moved in with him...
I was pregnant and it's kind of a blur, but I remember that I couldn't eat chicken, eggs, garlic, tomatoes... There was plenty of all-day sickness... And I wanted to eat mustard and toothpaste pretty much all the time.
I had baby Mina and felt like I woke up from what I thought I knew as life to discover something much more intense. I cried in my rocking chair in the wee hours of the morning because I almost couldn't handle how much I LOVED her.

2003...
Jason got a job in Madison and we moved our little family to a flat in a hip neighborhood.
We ate lots of grilled meat.
We moved to a townhouse. Shortly after that, the house two doors down from our flat exploded. Shortly after that, a small plane crashed near our new neighborhood!
Jason and I stood up in my brother's wedding at Devil's Lake.
We got pregnant with Leta.
Mina turned ONE.
I took a French class and my prof. was also expecting her second child around the same time.

2004...
Mon frere and his new bride joined the Peace Corps and moved to Zambia.
I spoke broken French in a ridiculous accent to baby Mina and made her laugh a lot.
Leta was born!
I saw my dad for the first time in many years!
Mina had her first trip to the ER for her first set of stitches. We were completely freaked out by the hole in her face and the gushing blood.
Mina turned TWO.
We visited my grandparents in Florida.

2005...
I aced my chemistry class.
Leta turned ONE!
We attended Jason's 10 year HS reunion.
Jason diagnosed me with Obsessive-Compulsive Furniture Rearranging Disorder (OCFRD)
Mina had lots of doctor appointments and tests. She had to stop eating wheat. She had terrible eczema. She was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified and put on the waiting list for her medicaid slot in order to get funding for therapy. She was on the waiting list for one year.
Mina turned THREE.
Mina had her second trip to the ER for stitches in her face.

2006...
Leta turned TWO!
Shannon and Laney returned from Zambia!
Mina turned FOUR.
Mina started working with the Wisconsin Early Autism Project.
We bought our house. My grandma warned, "New house, new baby..." I told her that was CRAZY TALK...

2007...
We celebrated five years of marriage.
We got pregnant with Cullen!
Leta turned THREE.
I spent lots of time vomiting until I started taking Zofran, the modern miracle.
I celebrated Cullen's second trimester with two trips to the ER and I got to see LOTS of pictures of him.
We visited my family in Florida.
We bought a MINIVAN.
Mina started preschool.
Mina turned FIVE.
Cullen was born!

2008...
I started running.
Leta turned FOUR.
My brother gave me the Panama hat and kicked off "The Panama Hat Years".
Leta started preschool.
Mina started Kindergarten.
Mina "graduated" from therapy, turned six, had a tooth pulled.
Cullen turned ONE!
I had a wee nervous breakdown and started using a light box and taking Wellbutrin...
Mina got glasses.

2009...
Boy oh boy. This year was... I'm not sure I'm ready to reflect on this year, actually! Let's just say it started horribly and with lots of elbow grease it really turned around and I am so grateful for my husband and family.
I decorated some cakes, too. ;)

...

2010, I think, is going to be a great year. I'm going to devote time every day to creativity. I don't want to let another day slip by where the only thing I did was clean something that's going to be dirty again tomorrow. I'd also like to continue trying to tell people how much they mean to me more instead of just thinking that someday I should.

This year, I am going to savor the sound of Cullen's little feet running away from me, and the way he giggles impishly when he turns out the light and closes the door when I'm trying to hang up his clothes. I'm going to be generous with love. I'm going to ask for help when I need it. I'm going to talk about the things I'm thinking about.

Yeah...

1 comment:

Carmi said...

Beautiful recap...I think many of us are going to try to forget 2009. And if we start 2010 with the kind of hope you express here, we'll all do just fine.

Thanks for reminding me that there's always a light.