Monday, November 23, 2009

Little Mysteries

We've noticed over the last few days that Mina has been pulling out her hair. This is one of those things that could be nothing but could turn into something huge, that parents like me lose sleep over. I'd find a little pile of hair and yell for her, show it to her, become upset. The wrong thing to do, I know.

I imagined her with bald spots, or masses of hair in her stomach, in treatment...

I read about it. I fretted--even though I have definitely spent a lot of time plucking out hair, enjoying the sensation, studying the root, and I don't have that problem today nor was it ever really a problem. I was also a nail biter as a child, and am still a terrible skin picker with scarring to prove it. I used to peel the skin off of my lips with my teeth and make them bleed. That's just how I roll.

Anyway, today I asked Mina if she just started doing it. She said yes. I asked her if she did it because she liked looking at the root of her hair. A slow smile spread across her face. She said yes. Then she told me that about a week ago she pulled a hair out by accident, and noticed the root, and has been wanting to look more. Then I asked if she wanted to look at pictures of hair on the computer and she said yes, and we had a wonderful time then... I told her we could look at more pictures anytime.

So there you have it. She's not suffering from a mental disorder. She's just curious! If anyone is looking for Christmas ideas for her, I think she would love a book with lots of gross, weird, cool pictures... She is always asking me to google "gross stuff". Like mother, like daughter!

2 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

You're one of a kind...just the way you roll, I suppose. The best kind of mommy rolling.

xo
erin

justcurious said...

Way to be smart about it!