Monday, August 24, 2009

Name That Project!

I've been doing a lot of thinking. Something I thought about a long time ago and has always sort of been in the back of my mind has come up in a big, screaming kind of way.

I want to put together an art studio for children and adults on the autism spectrum. I've been scouring the internet for evidence of other studios like this out there. So far I have found a couple of them for adults. I've contacted them to see if I could ask a few questions. I got a response from one, so now I have to think of some good questions (how did you get started kind of stuff)... I think given that people are moving here from all over when they find out their kids are autistic due to the services available in WI and particularly in Dane Co, and for other more obvious reasons, I'd love to include children in this.

It's a huge project. Most of the time when I have a big idea, the more I think about it, the more I think of why I don't want to do it. So far with this, just the opposite is happening. I think, oh my god, this is what I HAVE to do.

I've dedicated a lovely new pink Moleskine to this project and have been very busy gathering info and brainstorming. I even have friends and family helping me come up with a name. Everyone loves naming things! You can help, too! I'm particularly interested in the input of others on the spectrum.

Mina thinks Space Mission Computer is a good name but I'm not so sure everyone will get it. Comment just to throw some words around and keep ideas flowing. Anyone who wants to help with this in any way should contact me at hilarysamsa@gmail.com. I think everyone has at least one skill that will help this project, whether it's spreading the word, making connections, helping with some of the writing, helping me to organize my to-do list, web stuff, and just sharing any ideas whatsoever... I'm all ears!

...

Now that I've spent some time tonight on "important/not urgent" stuff, it's time to enjoy some "not important/not urgent" Six Feet Under with my darling husband who brought me a lovely pair of Smartwool socks tonight. Yay Jason!

3 comments:

Susannah said...

This is a pretty awesome idea, especially if you involve textures and 3D materials and other stuff.

Maybe you could do some sort of a play on the fact that "spectrum" is used in the context of both autism and art/color. Maybe something like Visible (invisible?) Spectrum?

I'd like to pass this on to a couple friends of mine with kids at various points on the spectrum, if you don't mind.

Hilary said...

Thanks for the input:)
Please do pass it on!

Louise said...

I love your enthusiasm. This is exactly what you need to do. I have a big idea about something completely different, but I'm terrified of it right now because I wonder how I'll fit it in. (And my idea isn't really that big at all, but I see how it could take time. Yours could be enormous! Excellent!)