Thursday, August 13, 2009

Can I help you?

How do you feel about what you're doing with your life? If you are living your dream and happy with your path, when did you realize that's what you wanted? Was it a difficult decision? Did it just happen? Was it something that was hard to stick to? Did you have help? Did you make sacrifices? How many times did you change your mind?

I'm having a bit of an existential crisis. This happens fairly often but each time it's more intense. Something inside of me needs to be expressed.

I know what I do within my own family to help, and am secure in that department. I realize that this is number one for me, and that doing a good job here is meaningful on a much grander scale, but I want to branch out. All of my writing and painting and childrearing just feels kind of small. I'm reaching out within my own little bubble and everything comes directly back to me. Does that make sense?

What should I do?

Let's look at the facts.

...

Let's look at the facts later, because right now my purpose in life is taking the children to the movies! Tra la la!

3 comments:

Zip n Tizzy said...

I'm in a similar space. Very glad the family came first, I probably would have chosen to do things differently if I had a successful career, but endlessly glad I've stayed home with my kids. Always curious what will come next.
I don't know what comes next for you, but I can say for sure that you are immensely talented, so I'm sure it will be rewarding when the time opens up and you make it happen.

Anonymous said...

You do what you have to do with the time period your in.. I raised two children, went out and ran organizations for many years and then went back to having another child and back home again until she started school. I enjoyed it all...

Grandma Char.

Louise said...

I'm so happy with my life that I have a hard time imagining it needing something. If there is any dissatisfaction, it is that I have too many things to do, too many responsibilities, interested in too many things, fingers in too many pies.

Waiting for the facts (which might already be here if I keep reading), but I need to say two things anyway: Your life IS valuable. You are a great mom. That is the most important job you will ever have. Make sure these feelings are not just things society puts on you. Second, if you need more, think of volunteering for something. I say this with caution because my life is filled to the brim with volunteering. I like most of it, but I don't like all of it combined. It's not that I don't like it, but I never have enough time for anything. I'm always behind blogging. I'm always behind with my business. I'm just always behind. But, if you find something you love, it can be rewarding. Just don't let it own you. Try to set boundaries.