Thursday, May 28, 2009

Four Cake-Wrecks of the Apocalypse


My friend Laima agreed to provide me with cake to practice on. She brought over four small layer cakes and told me to have fun... I didn't really have any brilliant ideas so I just started to play. This one I was hoping for a sparkly vinyl look and it ended up being very sloppy, in part because I was not precise in anything that I did, and I don't know what I'm doing with fondant yet. Also the weight of the fondant smooshed the cakes, and the icing beneath (mousse actually!) melted, and it ended up being all warped and stuff. Also kind of icky looking, color-wise. I'm going to mix the color in rather than paint over the top next time.

Yuck!!!

This sort of ivy cake would have been alright but my buttercream frosting was melting in my bag! I tried to keep it cold but folks, butter melts fast in a hot hand. The internet tells me I will have better luck if I add some cream of tartar next time.


OH it gets better! I had this really fantastic idea, see, when I looked down at all of my fondant scraps... I thought Laima would so enjoy a sort of glass mosaic looking cake since that's kind of a Thing of hers... It looked really great at first. The glossy dark blue gel was just right. However, things did not stay where they belonged... Oh my... Oh my... It's just disasterous.


I kept this one to eat myself. Since it's a spice cake it kind of tastes like Good and Plenty candy. It's quite tasty actually if you can forgive its appearance.

But I don't know if you can.

I wanted to do some roses for the cake that I figured would go to Laima's mom, but my frosting was too melty! They melted into blobs by the time I lifted them from my rose nail. It was getting late at this point and just decided to make something else with my rose tipped bag of yellow frosting: This ugly yellow flower of some kind. No fondant beneath, just the icing the cake came with, which kind of looks like paint peeling off of a brick. Charming, right?



Well I learned a few things, and I promise that next time I will present you with awe-inspiring things of beauty. Practice, practice, practice...

5 comments:

rdrew said...

I thought they all looked good enough to eat! In fact, I want to eat them. Especially the yellow flower cake. I'd call it a zinnia cake. A delicious zinnia cake.

Yermomma said...

Oh I like the zinnia cake idea, and My friend Leah would love the stained glass looking one too and the ivy, not bad for your first try's. Keep it up! love you!

Woman in a Window said...

Pretty incredible as they are. Love the ivy cake.

Kish said...

I love them! Looks like you are having fun!

Zip n Tizzy said...

Wow!
I've just read all your cake posts, and if this is just the beginning, you are going to be replacing the ace of cakes!
Look at these. I know that feeling of things not turning out as you imagined, but from where I'm sitting, these look awesome!