Monday, February 09, 2009

Looking up

I get a gold star for not doing any yelling this morning when Mina was getting all worked up over something.

I cracked open The Child with Special Needs (not my favorite title but the contents are good) and got some good ideas, for example, working on games where we do things in different speeds. This will help Mina self-regulate, which is something she has a lot of trouble with. You know, it will probably be good for Leta, too. It helps to be reminded that for Mina, empathy and talking are much more effective than yelling and time outs... Though sometimes *I* need the time out because I'm too mad to think clearly or keep an even tone.

I was in a supremely bad mood on Saturday but by Sunday it had improved. I did go for a run on Saturday, though! I get a gold star for that too. I'm still sore.

We went to the Waisman Center Sunday to watch a puppet show. It was 30 minutes and the girls did great. We sat in the very last row with some nice ladies who were speaking in an unfamiliar language. Cullen was fussy so I went just outside the door in the hallway with him and the girls didn't even care. I could see them the whole time of course, but they seemed okay with being left with those other ladies. It was fun to watch their faces during the show. It was my first time going to the Waisman Center for anything. I don't know why, but it filled me with anxiety before--the thought of finding out about any classes, services, things of that nature. Sometimes I fail as a parent in this way. Baby steps, folks. I can pay at the pump, make appointments, and use drive through banking. Those are things I couldn't do ten years ago!

I hope the rest of the week continues to look up.

5 comments:

kristi said...

I am working on the "not getting worked up" when TC starts with a meltdown. It is hard.
I am very high strung.
I want to scream along with him.

Her Hot Mess said...

I am afraid of a lot of those things, too. I think you are amazingly brave to take the kids to all those places. And I *still* don't like to do drive-through banking! The vacuum tube things scare me.

Zip n Tizzy said...

I'm sending you a pile of virtual gold stars!
You really need to be commended for everything you are doing in this very challenging time.
One foot in front of the other... it's what we have to do.

Anonymous said...

I was in a very bad mood on Saturday and Sunday too, I think it was the full moon. I am better now. Hope you are too! Love you, Yer MOM

Louise said...

It takes me weeks/months/even YEARS to make appointments. Part of it is time, but don't know what the rest of it is. You are definitely up on me there!