Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Fine tuning

Cullen is going from walking to running. He kind of runs with his legs straight though--it reminds me of Forrest Gump.

He has also been growing all four cuspids. I think this might have something to do with all the meltdowns he is having. Even so, he still brings me immense joy and I love rubbing his head on my cheek and smelling his hair, even when he is filthy and just smells like boy. What can I say, I am addicted to smelling the spicy brains of men in my life. heehee!

I've decided to do the one hundred push ups challenge. Who is with me? Right now I can do about ten. With my knees on the ground. :/ This website claims if I follow the program even I will be able to do one hundred push ups. We'll see!

In other news, I'm still not feeling any less anemic. I've been eating meat and pairing it and my iron supplements with vitamin C rich foods... I still get this really tired feeling in all of my muscles, and you know, general fatigue, feeling cold all the time, hair falling out (much more than usual), stuff like that. Maybe I need more folate and B12 (reading Mayo Clinic page on anemia)...

Maybe I should mention it at my next appointment with Dr. Dude (in two weeks).

One more thing.

So often we are scolding the kids for running in the house. Mina runs back and forth a lot, bumping into/jumping on things. I know that she needs this sort of input but it's still not something we like done in our kind of small house.

Yesterday after dinner, and after dessert, and right after I told Mina she was going to have her bath, she started running back and forth. Just as I was getting ready to raise my voice, I saw her expression. It was one of complete and utter joy. Running back and forth, over and over, and just BEAMING with uncontainable, unabashed solid gold happiness. How many of us feel that way very often? So often she is pensive, anxious, bothered by things around her. I couldn't take this moment of joy away from her. I very nearly wept about it.

I wish I could remember to not sweat the small stuff when it comes to the kids. I feel like we are constantly yelling at them, and most of the time it is really for nit-picky things. And all of the time, we really don't need to YELL.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are dealing with the same thing here...lots of running. On hardwood. Nice. I'm with you on picking your battles, though, and I can't wait for spring.

Kath

david mcmahon said...

The 100 push-ups challenge?

What's to push? !!!

Woman in a Window said...

That's it! That unabashed joy. I'm glad you saw it. I'm glad she felt it! Sometimes we have to balance our desire to control our environment with what they need from it.