Friday, December 12, 2008

Well Woman Visit

I've been jotting down notes for the last few weeks about what I want to talk to the doctor about. I filled up an entire mini Moleskine with said notes, but most of it was babble from when I was feeling bad. I decided to do some editing and make it a more concise list of concerns and got it down to three pages. Last night I worked hard to get it down to one page, front and back.

Do you think I got it out of my purse today at the appointment?

You're right. I didn't. Oh well. We didn't have two hours anyway.

I weigh 135.5 lbs. I thought it was about ten more than that, I really did. Amazing! Those are the kinds of surprises I don't mind. Now to start pumping iron... Dr. Dude said if I got below 130 I would need to add calcium to my supplements.

The pap was, well, it was what it was. Uncomfortable. But not bad. No pain. There was a nurse in the room "helping" but I have a feeling this is something that the male doctors are doing these days.

The nurse told me she just loved working with Dr. Dude and isn't he just the nicest?

I apologized for all the crazy phone calls and was assured that they weren't crazy and that if I sat next to him for eight hours I would realize that I was "better than normal". Well I guess that's my brand of crazy then, worrying about being crazy. Ha!

My socks were complimented by the doctor and nurse. Dr. Dude said he always likes my socks. What do you say to something like that? I shrugged and said, "Thanks... I love socks," and they laughed.

I'm to continue with the stuff I'm doing. Dr. Dude is going to be off for the next few weeks but "They know where to find me," he says, if need be. I am sure I can leave Dr. Dude and his family alone for a few weeks. :P I go in for a follow up (re: Wellbutrin etc.) at the end of January.

Oh! I asked about cholesterol because the one time I had it checked it was 400something, but he said since I was pregnant (with Mina) that was normal, and that when you're pregnant your body wants to hang on to all that cholesterol. He said I could get it checked but he doesn't think I need to and normally they would wait a few more years. Of course I didn't want to get pricked more than I needed to so I said I would just wait!

And I got my flu shot. Have you had yours? I have to bring the girls in for theirs.

Well, that's about it. I'm healthy. Aren't you glad I told you?

P.S. I feel kind of bad for the nickname "Dr. Dude". It's just that when I started seeing him I was not confident in his abilities and thought he was just some kid who may be delivering my baby... Eek. Little did I know! Maybe I can upgrade his nickname to something more fitting now.

5 comments:

PookieMD said...

Good to hear you went for your well woman check up! It sounds like Dr. Dude is good physician, and listens to what you have to say. I was shocked today when I read the average patient had between 3 and 6 health issues they wanted to talk about. It's pretty challening to get through 2! Glad to hear all is well!

Anonymous said...

Dude is great! It can mean a sharp-dressed man, and it also has the whole cowboy/rustic male thing going for it. 'Dr. Dude' is a fabulous nickname.

Kath

Maddy said...

I'm sure Dr. Dude doesn't mind, in fact I suspect if he knew he might be quite flattered!

As for socks, I'm right with you on that one too.

Cheers

Woman in a Window said...

"The nurse told me she just loved working with Dr. Dude and isn't he just the nicest?" And then the socks...did they say all this while he was, you know, down there doing all the stuff? Weird. But my kinda weird.

Glad you're good. Hope you get even better!

Hilary said...

The nurse was talking about Dr. Dude before he came in. She'd asked if I'd seen him before, if he was my regular doctor, and when I said yes she started going on and on about how nice he is.
The socks... The "stuff" was done but I was still sitting there with my sheet draped over me. Good socks are important because as we all know, You Can Keep Your Socks On. And now, apparently you can keep your shirt on too because they are no longer doing breast exams. Dr. Dude said, "We've been doing them for years, and as it turns out, they aren't at all useful! Neat, huh?"