Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sunshine! Oh glorious life-giving sunshine!

I happily drove around in horrible, slick, snowy conditions this morning, gliding past accident after accident after accident, because there was a big blue sky above me and sun shining in the windows.

I had a lot of errands to run which would normally make me a little grumpy, but I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face if I tried.

I never thought I would feel this way about the sun.

I was driving around smiling and shaking my head, thinking, "We just keep going through all of this, every year... Crazy..."

Jason was up in the dark this morning shoveling snow, and our friendly neighbor helped us out with his new snowblower.

Snowfall after snowfall, we dig ourselves out, we trudge through, and we help our neighbors trudge through (or in our case our neighbors help us).

There's SOMETHING about it... Something that kind of makes you feel alive. Something that makes you huddle together. Something about the friendly Wisconsinites enduring the blustery cold blowing snow. Something about all those layers of clothes, the ugly boots, the hat hair for months and months, the regular consumption of alcohol, the extra layers of fat...

As much as I hate it sometimes, especially when the sun hides for weeks at a time, I also think it's kind of... What is the word I'm looking for... scary+fun+cozy+heartwarming+unbelievably awful+ Well... I'll think about it. You can help me out if you like.

I guess what I'm saying is... Wisconsin isn't for everyone, but for now at least, I kind of love it (even when I hate it).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! It makes me feel tough. Or even a tad superior. But also stubborn. And a bit stupid.

Kath

Woman in a Window said...

Wisconsin? (I whisper it as a question to my mind.)

"Wisconsin." (It comes back to me as an answer.)

I often joke with my husband that he and I get along so much better when there is a villain that we can unite against. That is winter, you know, all the neighbours rally, friends and family and even strangers, to bundle up, sharpen their shovel against its side, to run indoors away from it. Winter. It's a formidable foe but even as the evil dude it is white and vast and calming. Beautiful winter. And so damned cold!

hadjare said...

Tim was up at five shovelling snow as well. Nutz, I tell you. I can tell he just can't wait for Thursday. Stupid kids and their wishes for a white christmas. :P

Maggie, Dammit said...

Hmmm.

I'm thinking if you and I sat down in front of a glass of water, you would say it was half full. And I would knock it over.

(unless of course it was actually vodka, and then I would lick it up.)

(I will concede that the sunshine does make days like today easier.)

(bah humbug.) ;)

Jo Beaufoix said...

I am longing for snow, but we will not get it, or not much. But I do love the bright sun on a crisp winters morning. Now whether I would love it if I had to shovel snow in it I do not know, but I'm glad you are kind of finding the love. :D