Saturday, November 01, 2008

Happy November First!

Happy National Blog Posting Month, or NaBloPoMo. It's going to be tricky, with Thanksgiving and birthdays and everything, but I think I can do it. What could possibly be easier?

Today I finally went to a little place called Sophia's. My mom has been raving about this place for a while now and she finally forced me to go today.

First, it was kind of hard to get to because it's on a one way street. It wasn't really hard. I don't know. I'm kind of a whiny baby. Moving on...

It's the tiniest little place on earth. There are three or four tiny tables in the place with scores of Madison hipsters crowded around them as if they're hovering around crack pipes or something. We squeezed up to the counter and ordered. I ordered some kind of black bean tomatillo taco with eggs and potatoes and OJ, and we got a chocolate croissant to nibble while we waited. We sat outside on rickety chairs around a rickety wooden TV tray, shivering in the cold, telling stories and waiting for our crack breakfast. Every now and then I would get up and peek in the door to see if we could snag a spot at a table.

Finally after an hour or so we got a spot inside sitting with another family who was just finishing up. Our food came right away after that, and the talking stopped for about five minutes. It was so tasty and obviously lovingly prepared. I was also very hungry by then that I think my eyes rolled back into my head as I chewed my first bite of taco and tomatillo sauce oozed out onto my potatoes and eggs.

And then, just like that, it was over, and there were other vultures circling people longing for indoor seating.

Anyway, glad I finally tried it. I won't be bringing the children there for a leizurely coffee date or anything like that, but I can definitely see it being a very uniquely Madison experience with an almost cult-like following. Visiting parents will be scrunched around tables with other different visiting parents, feeling the rush of it all... Anticipating their farm fresh hippy breakfast. Mmmm.

I'm so distracted with hungry thoughts that I can't seem to wrap up this post. Somehow I don't think this leftover Halloween candy is going to cut it...

4 comments:

Louise said...

Nothing worse that being hungry with nothing in the house but Halloween candy! I feel your pain. But that tomatillo thing sounded wonderful!

Casdok said...

I bet you are glad your mum forced you to go!!

womaninawindow said...

Odd to me, sharing a table with a family finishing up, but kinda fuzzy warm too. Maybe we should do this kinda thing more often, share with strangers.

Anonymous said...

I've been there with your MOM and We too had a pastry with our coffee while waiting for our great breakfast.. Yummmm ! We went during a snow storm last year so got to sit with other people inside right away.. But even then it was crowded. Had a very interesting conversation with a young couple..???
GG