Friday, October 31, 2008

The WEAP years ~ The end of an era

September 2006

Mina started working with the Wisconsin Early Autism Project two years ago after being on the waiting list (for funding) for one year. I worked with her as much as I could during that year, but I had another child to care for as well. Try having 30 minutes of uninterrupted floortime with a 3 year old when you have a 1.5 year old... I did my best. I did a lot. But, she needed much more than what I could do. During Mina's first month with WEAP I think I cried almost every day about how quickly she was responding, how much she was talking, how happy she was. These girls came over every day with so much energy, energy that Mina needed so much that I alone just couldn't provide. They were Mina's cheerleaders. Six hours every weekday were full of success, praise, treats, pony rides, spaghetti arms, and super fun and creative learning time.

I know Mina loved it about 95% of the time, and if it wasn't for WEAP, I don't know how I personally would have managed. When we were on the waiting list, not recieving any services, I was so tired. I was stretched beyond the max. Everything else slipped to the wayside. Jason and I were fighting all the time, I was worried all the time, I had terrible guilt because Leta didn't get enough attention, everything seemed so dark and impossible and I just had to keep my chin up and keep trudging through because I wasn't going to let Mina down. By the time Mina got her waiver slot (Katie Beckett/Medicaid) and started therapy, I just felt totally broken.


Today

Now, two years later, our time with WEAP has come to an end. This month it was determined that Mina no longer meets Level of Care to qualify for Medicaid. In other words, she has become too high functioning. Just like that, she goes from 33 hours per week of in-home therapy to nothing. This isn't exactly the ideal way to end things, but I'm so grateful that we were able to get the help we did when we did.

Today was Mina's last day. We had a graduation party this morning.

Thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to Margot, Stacey, Dr. Sallows, Jordan, Sara, Stephanie, Sharon, Jennifer, Claire, Melissa, Andrea, and Morgan. Thank you, WEAP. Thank you, Wisconsin, for funding this. Thank you to the village who has helped us so tremendously. Thank you for making such a difference in our lives, and Mina's life. You have given our brilliant child the tools she needs... to give back to YOU, to share the amazing things that are going on up there.

I have tears streaming down my face and Mina is telling me it's okay, not to be sad, and that SHE IS HUNGRY and so I should feed her and get off of the computer. Thanks for bringing me back from my sentimental moment, Mina. ;)



4 comments:

Louise said...

Is this like the way we feel at our 6-week post-partum visit?

All kidding aside, I am really glad you had this in your life, and I am extra glad you have such appreication for it.

I'm really sorry it's cold turkey for all of you, but hope that because things have gone so well that most of the adjustments will be good. Mina will keep you in line!

Connie said...

I hope Mina's smile can give you recurring strength. A beautiful girl.

womaninawindow said...

Wow, I'm so glad you got the support when you needed it. I find that I'm a little bitter with the whole system stopping so abruptly though. It seems to be similar in Canada, reach a certain level and plunk, stop. "Why not reach even higher system? HUH? Hear me?"

Well, if her smile is any indication of how wonderful her potential is she's gonna soar anyway.

imbeingheldhostage said...

She's beautiful. I am glad you found the support she needed! I hope the abrupt end is only a sentimental hurdle and she continues to flourish!