Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Leta goes to the dentist

I have to confess that sometimes I am just so grateful that Leta is a fairly neuro-typical child. She can be nervous and shy, but she also likes to challenge herself, and she takes a lot of pride in being a big girl, and being brave.

Today Leta went to the dentist for a cleaning.

She went in without me, smiling, with her head held high. Cullen and I terrorized the waiting area. Leta came out 30 minutes later with play money, a new toothbrush and toothpaste, and the biggest smile ever.

"Mama, they painted my teeth! We talked about my Halloween costume too, did you know that she asked me what I was going to be for Halloween? And I said a UNICORN! Mama there's the bathroom, did you go to the bathroom while I was getting my teeth cleaned? Did you get a drink? Did you know that I got to pick a TOY out of the DRAWER? They got new toys in the drawer, did you know that?!!"

I love all of my kids so, so so so much, but you have to know that if they were all like Leta, or Cullen, or Mina, I would not be the picture of inner poise you see before you. I can only handle ONE of each. ;)

7 comments:

david mcmahon said...

We all need dentists who make us smile!

womaninawindow said...

Oh! And this is the truth!

Anonymous said...

Heartwarming! Yer Momma

Maggie May said...

That's a lovely post. Congratulations on POTD over at David's.

Sandi McBride said...

I love posts about children, they see the world without the rosetint and are so honest about what they see...sometimes a bit to honest, lol. Congratulations on Post of the Day mention.
Sandi

Jo Beaufoix said...

That dentist sounds fab, and it is so true. If I had more than one of either E or M I think I would explode.

Louise said...

This is funny!

I went to the dentist last week for some not-so-pleasant, non-routine work. My youngest was with me. And the whole toy thing reared its ugly head. She's only been to the dentist once--about 6 weeks ago, but she started ASKING for toys. She didn't want to sit in the waiting room, so she was saint-like sitting in the corner of my room, but when my mouth was full of stuff, she ASKED for a toy. I shot her the nastiest look I could, but couldn't say anything. It was horrible!