Sunday, September 14, 2008

Quiet

Earlier this week I got some sad news about the unexpected passing of someone amazing. I've thought many times about posting about it, but I couldn't sort out my feelings enough to do it. I couldn't even sort them out enough to participate in the collaborative memorial project. I'm sorry, Patrick.

Dear Patrick,

You were bouncy and bright and witty... You shared smiles, great food, and zany ideas with everyone in your life. There were countless occasions when you turned my gloomy days around as a teenager, and I always wished I could really be one of those best friends of yours, but I was so shy. I would just listen to you talk and be happy to be there.

I'll always remember when I called you to ask you how to make bread. My friends and I were very bored 7th graders. We had nothing to do. We kept joking about baking some bread to pass the time. One day Shannon said, "I think Patrick knows how to make bread," and I called you. I think most people would have been weirded out by this. It was something like, "Hi, this is Hilary, Shannon's sister. My friends and I want to bake bread and Shannon thought you might know how to do that.*giggle*" and you said, "Well, how many hours do you have?" and proceeded to explain the process and we decided that it was a little too much work for us.

I was always a little embarrassed about that because you must have thought I was this dumb kid... But you made such an effort to be friendly and complimented me often on whatever I was wearing, so you can't have been terribly annoyed...

Anyway, you were a really good friend of many of my really good friends, and to my mom and my brother, and I guess that's going to have to be good enough now. I didn't want to bring the kids to your memorial service today, but I am thinking about you, and your family. Thank you for being such a bright light in the world for the time that you were here.

...

Okay. It's time to get dressed. I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

3 comments:

womaninawindow said...

Oh shit. Patrick. Sounds like I could have known him. Would have wanted to have known him. I'm sorry too.

These simple memories are our tenuous ties to living. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have gotten up at the service to tell how we had a group of women at Conkeys Bookstore and we called ourselves the "Conkettes" and we let Patrick in our group. We invited him to our "girls only" hot tub party. He just was so great! I think I may become good friends with his mom because Patrick recently told her that she would like me! The book that Laney and the others made for her was made of all these beautiful layers of fabric with the stories stitched into it, it was unbelievably awesome and I picked it up and held it to my chest, and I knew that his mom will find such comfort to hold this memory book full of wonderful stories of her son. How do you make sense of losing a child? It's just so sad. love you, yer mom

imbeingheldhostage said...

Oh. I am sorry. He sounds like the kind of guy who didn't think you were a dumb kid. He probably hung up the phone after the bread incident and smiled.
We lost a friend unexpectedly too-- this summer, I am sorry.