Sunday, August 10, 2008

Question of the day

David McMahon asks, "As a child, were you afraid of the dark?"

I was pretty much afraid of everything.

I mean, I don't know that I was afraid of the dark itself, but I was definitely scared of what might be lurking in the places I couldn't see. I recall laying awake for hours with my eyes wide open. I hated the moment the lights went out and my eyes had not yet adjusted to the dark. I used to wish I had eyes all around my head so I could see in every direction.

I used to stare at the dark window waiting for some monster to appear. I would be covered in sweat but could not take off any of my blankets because they kept me safe.

Every night I was scared out of my mind. And when I did fall asleep I had nightmares. I remember that I would wake up and fall asleep again and have the same nightmare.

When I was an older child I was still scared out of my mind. I would lay in bed and pray for hours.

As a teenager I would just read all night and then fall asleep in school. It drove my mom crazy!

I was happy to have lots of friends who worked second shift when I was a young adult, and would socialize from 11:30pm to 4am.

It took having a baby to reset my body and give me good sleep habits.

1 comment:

womaninawindow said...

For me it's sleeping pills. I've got back problems. I skipped the pill last night though, trying to shake loose being tired all day, and I'll be damned if I didn't sleep at all last night. I heard everything. My cat was pissing me off and my house was creeping me out. I gave my sleeping pill a little kiss tonight before I gulped it!