Sunday, August 24, 2008

Do You Remember Your First Day of School?

-Weekend Wandering question.

Yes. What I remember about school is that I had no idea what school was. The idea of school was so abstract--I mean I knew that it was someplace Shannon went and that he worked on things in school, I guess. I think I had some idea that there were other kids. I imagine that my mom probably told me what school is but without knowing EXACTLY what it would look like and EXACTLY what we would do, I just couldn't wrap my brain around it.

I don't remember what I had for breakfast. I don't remember what I wore. I only remember one shirt I had at the time, which was white with tulips on it, and I only remember it because a girl named Holly had the same shirt and you know, same first letter of first name, same shirt, instant friendship.

On my first day of school my mom brought me inside and the other kids were just all over the place, exploring the different areas of the room, and I stood there totally frozen, not knowing what to do or where to go or how to be. I saw another kid start crying and ask (his/her?) mom, "When does school start?!" and I sort of became panicked and also started crying. It was instantly better when the teacher gave us direction. I guess that's pretty common because it seems like Leta reacted similarly when she started preschool, minus the tears.

I went to a different school for first grade and that was like... REAL school. But by then, I knew what school was.

5 comments:

Zip n Tizzy said...

I remember Melissa, who wore an american flag dress and wanted me to sit next to her because I was the new girl (meaning I think that I started a few days after everyone else in Kindergarten.) We went on to swap lunches for the next several years. It's how I got to experience bologna sandwiches during my childhood.

womaninawindow said...

Funny what thinking on our first day brings back, isn't it? I'm beginning to realize my daughter and I are a lot more alike than I had thought.

imbeingheldhostage said...

You even remember detail-- I have no idea what my first day was like. I'm beginning to wonder if I was even there.

Maggie, Dammit said...

On my first day of 4th grade (my first day in a new town, new state), I saw a girl with the most amazing pink parachute pants I'd ever seen. We are still best friends to this day.

Anil P said...

I wish I could remember my first day at school. I remember the last day though. I was happy to be passing out then, but after all these years I wish that moment could have been frozen for good.