Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Kid Milestones

Mina was stung by a wasp for the first time today. Twice, actually. From what she told me, it landed on her eye and she swatted it away. She was stung on the hand and on the arm, but luckily her eye was spared. Her reaction was what anyone would expect, I suppose: Running around the yard like a chicken with it's head cut off, only not really because she was screaming bloody murder, "I GOT STUNG I GOT STUNG BY A WAAAASP AND I THINK THEY ARE BAD AND I DON'T EVER WANT TO GO OUTSIDE AGAIN!" etc.

We all went inside, I got her two cold washclothes--one for each sting, some benadryl, and after we were done with the cold washclothes I put hydrocortisone on her. Her finger looked like it was swelling pretty fast but seemed to improve quickly.

I was worried when one of her therapists showed up with diet Coke and Mentos for an outdoor science experiment, because Mina was pretty shaken by the whole ordeal and kept saying she didn't want to go outside anymore. The idea of a coke fountain was too enticing to pass up though and she said with a sly little smile, "I want to see the fountain." Plus, don't Mentos pretty much make everything okay? Of course they do.

Anyway... She survived her first wasp sting. And her first Coke fountain. It was better than fireworks.

3 comments:

Char said...

You better check under your deck for nests and your neighbors deck too. They love decks... We had to put screening under our railings here as they were in there..
And ouch, their stings hurt.. I've been there!!
Hugs to Mina from GG

Zip n Tizzy said...

Ouch! Poor Mina.
Thank goodness for the coke fountain!

Jessica said...

A wasp managed to get in my bed, under my covers once. It stung me several times before I managed to find it and KILL it.

We LOVE diet coke and mentos fountains. We will splurge and spend about $50 on that stuff every ferw months and see how huge of a spray we can get. Just to show how nerdy my hubby can be, he and his best friend are engineering a mentos release mechanism that will release the mentos after the cap with a small hole drilled in the top, is put on. Oh sure, they can quick put the cap on after dropping the mentyos, but it always end up with 2 grown men laughing like 2 year olds covered in diet coke.