Wednesday, May 21, 2008

106, 107, 108...

I can hear Mina counting. She should be sleeping, of course. I remember laying in my futon when we lived on Summer Street in Appleton and I must have been around six years old. It was during the time when the play room became Shannon's very own bedroom. I kept getting up and going over to his room, whispering, "Shannon! I counted to three hundred!" Then a minute later, "Shannon! I counted to four hundred!" and Shannon, who was listening to the radio quietly, rolled his eyes and told me to tell him if I counted to a thousand. I recall being soooo thrilled about what I perceived as a challenge and excited when I DID IT. I ran into Shannon's room and told him the good news, and he groaned and told me to go to sleep. God, typical annoying little sister!

Anyway... Every time Mina gets up and uses the bathroom she sings the ABCs when she washes her hands, and now the counting...

Oh, I have been meaning to jot down this gem, too...

Lately Leta keeps talking about swimming at GG and Grandma's hotel, and when we stayed in a hotel in the Dells... Except, instead of "hotel" she says, "ho and tell". Oh my god. It's the funniest ever. It cracks me up. It's like "Show and tell," only it's "Ho and tell"! Come on down to the Ho and Tell! Stay for an hour, stay for the night, tell your friends... I keep telling her that it's HOTEL, and she just goes on with what she was saying unflinching... "So yeah when we were at the hotel I falleded off of the bed when I was sleeping and I cried".

Sometimes talking about the kids later is a lot more fun than actually being around them. Wow, that sounds just awful. I should try to enjoy them more. So much of the time I am super cranky and mean, and they are saying these extremely funny things to me except they are both talking at the same time, and Cullen is crying, and I'm trying to make dinner, and well, that's when I think I would really like to go for a run RIGHT NOW.

Parenthood! I do like the rollercoaster.

1 comment:

Shannon French said...

Wow. I have absolutely no recollection of the counting thing when we were kids. Sorry for being a jerky older brother!
That's hilarious about Leta.