Thursday, March 27, 2008

Happy Birthday, Leta!

It's hard to believe Leta has been around for FOUR YEARS already. It's equally hard to believe that she's only four years old sometimes.

The events of Saturday, March 27th 2004

8am-Mmm, breakfast with the family. Lazily eating everything in sight...
10am-Grocery shopping for some last minute items with mom. Waddling through the store is not fun but it will be the last time!
12:30pm-Mom, Jason, Mina and I meet mom's friend Leah for lunch at Monty's, where I wolf down a Mocha and a breakfast burrito, oooh spicey!
2:30pm-We drive by the house I like(d) and head over to a photo exhibit.
2:31pm-I'm not feeling great. Should I say anything? ...
3:00pm-quickly looking at photography. I feel worse. I want to go to the bathroom. There isn't one. Hm. "Let's go home, guys..."
3:30pm-I think we should get ready. Things are tense. I'm having VERY uncomfortable contractions.
3:45pm-I am on my hands and knees panting. This is getting serious and starting to suck. Jason looks for watch.
4:00pm-Contractions are five minutes apart lasting 50 seconds. Okay...let's go..
4:05pm-"Hee hee hoooooooo! Hee hee hee hoooooooo!" gripping door handle...
4:30pm-we arrive at St. Mary's ER where Jason heroically finds me a wheelchair and we begin our journey up...the others in the ER proclaim "she goes first!"
4:45pm-Jason helps me into gown and they check my cervix--5 cm dilated, ok she's really in labor.
5:00pm-Holy shnikes! Look at this birthing room! The luxury! Leather furniture! Whirlpool tub! This isn't bad at all!
5:00:10pm-THIS F-ING SUCKS! HEE HEE HEE WHOOOOOOOO! My back is in nonstop agony and I can barely tell when the contractions begin or end. What?! You want to strap a belt to my belly?!!! A-HOLES!!!
5:20pm-I am in heaven having just dipped into my bath. I love you all! Though...I feel like I have to pee or something...too...much...pressure...
5:30pm-I have to get out of the tub! I'm overheating and this sucks and let's have this baby please!
5:45pm-My wonderful fantastic superb doctor breaks my water--YEAH!!!!! Relief! Oh but wait--she discovers the baby's head is facing wrong direction...if I could give a little push she'll turn it around for me. OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
6:00pm-my cervix is 9cm dilated...my back feels better but my contractions are fierce. I have nearly broken every bone in Jason's hand.
6:15pm-I am feeling incredible urge to push during contractions. I'm on all fours on the birthing bed, no longer able to control the breathing.
6:25pm-I'm 10cm dilated! It's time to push! They say things like "push like you have to poop"--um..."chin down, hold your breath while you push! Relax those legs(this is hard to do...) It's coming"
6:35pm-"that's it! Just like the last one, that was great!" I'm feeling the burning sensation now...and I hear them commenting on how much hair on the baby's head...
6:46pm-Leta's head is born! Oh my god yes!
6:47pm-Leta's shoulders are born! the rest slips out and they plop my beautiful cheese covered hairy little angel on my chest. Jason and I are crying about the baby as they wait for my placenta.
6:55pm-have to push again to deliver placenta--don't worry, this is a cinch.
7:00pm-I am rewarded with a toasted bagel and apple juice and it tastes incredible. Give me all the food!

I had no tearing, no stitches...not even enough swelling to warrant the usual frozen diaper on crotch treatment.

Jason went home for some Zzz's around 11 and I started having really bad cramping (the uterus shrinking)...I am in agony, again using lamaze techniques, until I get sweet heavenly wonderful miraculous vicodin...I even got some sleep after that.

...

Obviously Leta didn't give me too much trouble. None of them did. It's true. I'm sorry to all the mamas who have a difficult labor. Sometimes I feel a little guilty about my own story but I should really just be thrilled about it. I have had wonderful birth experiences and I will cherish the memories forever.

Leta is an incredible little person. She's full of fiery determination, she has an impressive imagination and understanding of human emotion/behavior for such a wee lass. She is The Boss, and she is mom #2 to Cullen (or am *I* mom #2? Hard to tell...) They say sometimes the middle child gets lost in the shuffle but I just can't see that happening with little Leta. She wouldn't stand for it!

1 comment:

hadjare said...

Happy Birthday Leta!!!!

On a side note, I should have written a birth story...but at the same time Tim sort of did. Hm. Maybe when it's her birthday I'll write what I remember.