Sunday, February 06, 2005

Fun things to do in Wisconsin

On Saturday we went to Madison's annual Kites on Ice festival at the Union on Lake Mendota. Thousands of people came to share this time-old tradition of gathering on an ice covered lake in the middle of winter to fly kites. This year it was a balmy 50 degrees! How crazy is it to walk around on an ice covered lake in 50 degree weather? How about snowboarding on an ice covered lake with a giant kite? It seemed like a lot of fun to us. We didn't actually go out on the ice, as we have a behemoth double stroller to push around and I kept thinking about the time at the cottage when we all stood in front of the fireplace for the Christmas photo and the floor joist collapsed beneath our feet. So many people in one spot just seemed a little too risky...

We certainly had a lovely afternoon out and about, though. This winter has been particularly depressing for me as a "Stay at home mom". Last year we only had one and it was still pretty easy to get out and do things with her. I made sure to leave the house every day and maintained pretty good spirits...but this year, with two little ones, a trip to Target is just a little too complicated and painful to want to go for no good reason. The likelihood that both tots will be in good spirits is slim, and the cold wind chapping their little faces makes it worse, and even worse than that are the total strangers who can't mind their business, going on and on about my poor children who should never ever leave the house in the winter and should be covered from head to toe in fleece 9 months of the year...

Was I going somewhere with that? I can't remember...

I'm looking forward to spring more than usual this year and I have crazy ideas in my head about going for walks every single day, being more active, getting in shape...etc. Who's with me??? Let's show some solidarity! C'mon!

1 comment:

hadjare said...

I thought the kids were pretty good last week at the trip to Target. I even commented to Tim on Mina's good behaviour. And I am glad that we went and I got out of the house during the day -- and okay...I had way more fun in their dollar bins then one person should. I have already written a letter on the great stationary (Mom, sure but that counts for something), took a bath with the lavender/vanilla liquid soap, exfoliated with the lavender/vanilla body scrub while using a brand new washcloth (on sale)...